Although I love the cool crisp weather that we are starting to feel in the air, there are many things I will miss about summer...
Ice cream dates
Watching fireflies in Union Square
Sleeping with the windows open
Walks on the High Line
Iced coffees at Blue Marble
Heirloom tomato salads
Escaping to Fire Island
This key lime tart will bring a taste of summer to the table no matter the time of year. After I tried it for the first time one summer in Key West, I haven't let a summer pass without making it since.
What's on your 2012 summer list?
- 1 1/4 cups crushed graham crackers (or digestive biscuits)
- Pinch of ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon key lime zest
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (room temperature)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (approx 15 key limes)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Key lime zest for sprinkling at the end
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C)
- Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor or bash them in the plastic bag until they resemble bread crumbs. Mix the crushed crackers with the room temperature butter, sugar, ginger and key lime zest.
- Add the mixture to a 9 inch tart pan and press the crumbs into the pan evenly and well. Bake in the oven at 350F for 7-10 mins until lightly golden brown.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and key lime juice, condensed milk and vanilla until very smooth. Pour this mixture into golden tart crust. Bake for 15 mins in the oven at 350F
- After baking sprinkle the top of the pie with some key lime zest. Allow the pie to cool for 15 mins and then refrigerate for 2 hours.